Thursday, July 28, 2016

DLP (Add texture and Use a stencil) and daily journaling

As with my last daily journaling post I decided to use the Documented Life Project prompts to create the backgrounds for my daily journal pages. The first two prompts for July were "add texture in any way" and "use a stencil". When I turned the page in my journal, I discovered I had cleaned off stencils there - winning before I even start :-)
I began when I was preparing my talk for the Rangitikei Country Quilters - they wanted to hear about my mixed media art journey and gelli plate printing, so I decided to start this page with gelli plates and stencils to share with them how I build layers. 
Love the combination of lemon and pink - the plate had a mix of pink and white so it's nice "texture" (prompt) look there as well. When I was looking through my stamps the other day I rediscovered these - will be VERY useful for Daily journaling
I wanted to also show off my mini gelli plates in use again, so used my circle with that circular journaling stamp.  I pressed the stamp on the gelli plate to make the impression and then stamped that on my background (bottom right left page) and then stamped the small gelli plate (the more filled in versions)
Also used my small square for a bit of texture (bottom left) and my triangle to create a border along the right. Click on the photo to see it all larger. Orange goes great with yellow and pink don't you think? Our days are very cold, dull and wet at the moment so I needed to create some happy colour in my journal. Shared this spread at my talk, and then we headed away for a week in Auckland. 
I tried to journal while we were away, but because I like to add photos it was a bit tricky. I did some with my lovely moonlight gelly roll pens and left some gaps to add the photos later, but I got a bit frustrated with that and I've been playing catch-up in my journal these last few days. Here's my second page just about complete, but there's room for some artful additions. 
First I thought I'd add some modeling paste (texture) through a stencil beside my penguins :-)
I had come cool tags from recent purchases which I decided I'd like to use this time as my version of Pocket Art Cards : I like the circle and the edge design on these (and the lovely textured background of my page!)
I almost threw this vellum tag overlay out and then realised how perfect the word was for this prompt!!
This is how they ended up : loving the machine stitching and fibres. 
Behind this one I used the plainer cardboard tag from above for journaling
I had a lot of fun with the cut-out-circle tag. First I needed to glue down elements that would be revealed once the tag was lifted as below 
On the back of the tag you can see I used a bit more of that modeling paste through the stencil onto a bit of stitched inked card. And here's how it looks with the tag in its usual position. I really enjoy how all those elements combine.
Here's my finished spread - it's daily journaling spread #22 this year. 
You can see my Flickr album with all my daily journaling spreads HERE. You can find out more about DLP 2016 the unPlanner HERE.
I am happy to say I now have a FB Artist page if you prefer FB following :-) Enjoy the rest of your week.

2 comments:

  1. You were able to cram so much onto this one single spread! A couple of happy coincidences there with the stencilling and the 'texture' tag. You never know when you might be able to use bits and pieces, so we'd better keep everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right - the temptation IS to keep everything! I have a couple of friends doing massive 'clean-outs' right now...I just can't bring myself to do that yet....Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...