Sunday, May 29, 2016

Quilt Show Inspiration

Recently our quilt club had their annual tote & gloat show day. People travel from all around to share their quilts, shop, admire others' quilts, and to listen to an inspiring speaker. This is what the stands look like once the quilts are hung :
And there's my quilt hanging on the day.
This is a view of how the shops are set up :
I did mention this in another post, but in case you didn't see it : Fantastic news for New Zealander artists - Tulis Textiles had a stall at the quilt show, and she sells gelli plates!
I have added this to my post about Where I shop for mixed media supplies - always available in my top right side bar. In the photo above you can see she had smaller shaped ones available. You may need to email her about them since they are not online as I post this. Also have more recently found they are ALSO available at Gordon Harris - stores located Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch.
I love to look at quilts and I took lots of photos so I'm going to share lots of quilt inspiration with you here. We had a couple of Club challenges this year and since I didn't enter anything I thought I'd share my favourites :
"1986" challenge (because it's our 30th show)
Liz Gates : "My journey" - many cool techniques to look at here. Liz won a merit prize for this one.
And there was a challenge to make a quilt inspired by a page from a book (given out at the club meeting, so you couldn't choose your own inspiration)
Debbie Jacques : "Good night" - an iconic image from our Kiwi past beautifully executed. Debbie won 1st prize in the Advanced section for this quilt.
and another fabulous quilt featuring another kiwi icon - this time from a beloved children's book series. Kay McDonnell "Hairy Maclary"
Kay won the Intermediate section for this quilt, and also got Viewers' choice.
See ALL the winners of the quilt challenges at our club blog HERE.
We were also lucky enough to have the winners from the Aotearoa Flight Challenge quilts. You can see the 20 quilts which are traveling HERE. So I'll just share some detail shots of my favourite one by Mary Transom called "Leaving". I ♥ butterflies and Mary's work.
Details - and you can click on any photo to see it even larger 
Yet another display of quilts was of past viewers' choice quilts. These are the ones that caught my eye :
Debbie Jacques 2015
Below left : Wendy O'Neill 2015, and below right Sonja Revell 2014
Anna Williams 2007
Sheryl Meech 2005
Helen Wilkinson 2003
And then there were quilts that were shown but I can't credit, so just enjoy the loveliness (and click any photo to see it larger) :
Lovely Kaffe Fassett fabrics and gorgeous quilting - here's a detail
To finish the day and this LONG quilt post, we had our inspiring speaker Susan Brubaker Knapp.
She began with this wonderful quote by Leonard Wolf : "Everyone is here on earth as an artist; to tell his particular story or sing her irreplaceable song; to leave a unique creative signature". And then she shared her quilting journey. Afterwards we were able to look at her beautiful work. I am particularly inspired by her flowers :
As you might imagine, I am so inspired to get on and make another quilt. I'm just not sure whether it will be appliqued flowers, a baby quilt, or a simple stash busting quilt to showcase lovely fabric :-)

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic Quilt Show you have displayed here Lynette. So inspiring. Mary Transom's butterflies are so vibrant and beautiful. It is great to see all the variety as they all set off each other, displaying so many techniques and giving so much to think about. What talent and creativity.
    Thank you so much for putting in the time to share the Show for us all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure :-) So happy to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, some of these took my breath away! Pure gorgeousness! There's a noticeable lack of male presence on the premises, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...