Friday, December 17, 2010

Image transfer techniques

I really like getting each new Quilting Arts magazine, and I especially loved this issue because of the awesome transfer technique inside. I have tried a few different methods of image transfer with mixed success. Liz Kettle shares her technique for transfers with water-soluble paper and I thought it was worth a try. I've found a YouTube demonstration by Liz of this technique here with written instructions on her blog HERE. I used a sheet of Paper Solvy, and printed a lovely Klimt image on it through my printer. She says to use Matte Medium, but I just used a cheap Reeves gloss gel medium applied with a foam brush to both the fabric and the image, then burnished them together with a brayer. Lift the edge to make sure the transfer is happening.When you are satisfied, peel all the paper off to reveal your image. I was thrilled with the results, and will definitely use this method again.
The other method I like to use is transferring to contact paper or packing tape. Julie Fei-Fan Balzer has produced a one-minute YouTube to show how to do this which I share here.
She demo's with packing tape, and says to use a magazine image. I have also done this exact thing with sheet music, book pages, and photocopies, and used contact paper (that you cover school books with) for larger images, all to good effect. The great thing about this method is that it doesn't reverse your image so you can use music or words.
On this postcard I photocopied both the quote and sun image and then transferred them to contact paper.
Hope you enjoy having a go at these techniques.

5 comments:

  1. Your Klimt transfer has come out so well! I shouldnt have stopped my sub to Quilting Arts -will have to phone to order this issue tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You transfers looks great. I like using packing tape too - easy, cheap and not too messy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to use the Solvy! I stopped getting QA too, I only get CPS now and picked up the latest issue and put it under the xmas tree for an extra treat just for me over xmas! lol Merry Christmas Lynette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's a long time since you made this great post, but hopefully you'll get this anyway!

    Is the gel you used the Reeves 3D Gloss Gel? If so...I'm going to have a go at this! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gill - hope you check back on this comment....what I used was Reeves Gloss Gel Medium - NOT 3D. It says on the tube "use with acrylic paint". Have fun

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...